12.24.2012

5 Of The Best: Movies Of 2012

Overall I have to say that 2012 wasn't too bad a year for movies and I think it was certainly better than the previous year. There were plenty of remakes, sequels and prequels as per usual but there was also enough original content to keep a person like myself satisfied. From mind-blowing indie films to big budget blockbusters and everything in between, in the end it was quite an effort to try and whittle this list down to only 5 selections (plus honorary mentions). Here are my top 5 choices -

The links to the full reviews are in the titles (not all movies have been reviewed)

AMERICAN MARY (review)

"The story follows medical student, Mary Mason, as she becomes increasingly broke and disenchanted with the surgical world she once admired. The allure of easy money sends Mary into the world of underground surgeries which ends up leaving more marks on her than her so called 'freakish' clientele"

The sophomoric effort from the Soska sisters was one of the few movies which lived up to the hype this year. The closing night of Monster Fest was probably the highlight if my year not only because I had a chance to meet the twins but also because I got to see this amazing film.




FATHER'S DAY (review)

"Ahab, a man obsessed with exacting a brutal, violent revenge on the man who murdered his dad, joins John, an eager priest, and Twink, a hot-headed street hustler, on an epic quest to find and defeat this mythical monster known as Chris Fuchman AKA The Father's Day Killer"

I can't express just how much I fucking love this movie. If somebody told me one of my favorite movies of the year would be a Troma produced film about a serial father rapist I probably would have laughed in their face. But this is fucking amazing.



THE RAID (review)

"A SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs"

The greatest action movie since DIE HARD.



EXCISION (review)

"A disturbed and delusional high school student with aspirations of a career in medicine goes to extremes to earn the approval of her controlling mother"

I don't think anything could have prepared me for this. A blistering debut film with some neat cameos and some awesome looking fantasy sequences.




DJANGO UNCHAINED

"With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner"

Quentin Tarantino has done it once again. A brilliant movie with a fantastic soundtrack, great performances, plenty of violence and a neat cameo by the original Django; Franco Nero.



Honorable Mentions: 

BUTTERFLIES (review)

PROMETHEUS (review)

THE EXPENDABLES 2 (review)

THE CABIN IN THE WOODS (review)

THE GREY (review)

No comments:

Post a Comment